View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
  • Is the Kobo stable? I see a few threads just on the first page of freezes and crashes.
I had some problems with my Glo. It crashed (at times it froze other times it rebooted) when I tried changing the margins in one of my sideloaded EPUBs.
However, I since learned from other people on this Forum (and verified) that it is that particular EPUB at fault. I have tried other EPUBs (from various sources) and it works fine with them.
Yes, no device should crash, but, on the other hand, I've not had any other problems and I have used it now for a week (daily for at least one hour a day).

• I've heard that sideloaded books sometimes don't let you mess with their fonts/spacing. Does this apply even if the sideloaded book is a DRM free book bought FROM Kobo, unchanged? (even if the book previously had DRM? *winkwink*)
It does not let you change the fonts or margins if the EPUB is so formatted but that is what should happen. Otherwise it allows to change these things just fine with sideloaded books.

The EPUB that was making my Glo crash (but only when I tried to change the margins) had formatting problems. I tried other EPUBs until I found one that had the margins fixed (so that I could not change them) and the Glo did not crash, it simply did not change the margins.
You can strip these restrictions with Calibre.

• What features do you like/made you decide to buy your Kobo Glo?
I had a Nook Simple Touch and I was very happy with it. So happy with the normal firmware that I did not even root it (I rooted the old Nooks).
So why buy the Glo? Because of the Glo(w) feature.

And it's great! It is too early to tell how it affect the battery, so far I've not had any dramatic drops in the battery level but I have the Wifi turned off.
Another thing that made me buy the Glo (as opposed to the Nook Glowlight) is the higher resolution screen. This makes the characters crisper and thus easier to read.
The Kindle PPW has the same resolution screen but the Kindle does not support EPUBs. I could have lived with that. However, the Kindle PPW was not available here (is still not AFAIK) so the Glo won.

And what finally clinched the deal was the big difference in the adjustments capabilities of the Glo vs the Nook and the Kindle.

• What is the touch screen like? Is it capacitive like the Kindle Paperwhite? If not which is it? Infrared? Which is better, capacitive or infrared?
Touch screen is good. I have not tried the Kindle PPW so I cannot say if that is better.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Glo.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote