Thread: Color Nook Color Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That said, the NC won't play HD netflix unlike the nook tablet. You'll be limited to SD quality.
I've been curious about this one for a while now.

Technically speaking, no tablet on the market that I'm aware of is capable of playing true HD video because none of them have the resolution to play HD, well, 1080p resolution anyway; I guess I should've clarified. I've even seen 1080p listed in the B&N Nook Tablet ads but that's a blatant lie. True 1080p HD resolution is 1920x1080 if I'm not mistaken and the resolution of the device is only 600x1024. I forget what the resolution for 720p is but I'm pretty sure it's a little more than most tablets are capable of. Do the math. Regardless of whether the video plays or not, you're not seeing it in true HD.

It's kind of the reverse of all the Blu-ray players that go on and on about being able to "up-scale" older SD DVD's. It doesn't matter what you do to it, it's still an SD video source. Same here in reverse. It doesn't matter if you can get the HD video to down-scale and play or not, the hardware isn't physically capable of displaying true HD video because the resolution isn't good enough.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Anyone know what it is?

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote