View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Whenever I did this, I found myself throwing away data. Should I combine English Fiction with Modern English Fiction? Do I really want to study the first book to see if it's "Modern" just to add the tag from the second?

I really think the best solution is to keep all the tags, and then add your own. That's what I'm doing now. If you want to make them easy to search, put your consistently applied tags into a separate column.
I was thinking of editing more in the way of kiwidude's example regarding the variation in spelling of Sci-Fi. Your example is one where it would be beneficial to keep both.

Some culling is good, however. For excrement and merriment, I took a quick look at the tags related to Fantasy; I have 20 different variations, most with less than two or three books in them. That could be pared down quite a bit. Ethnic varieties of Fantasy eats up quite a few entries. English and American fantasy are large categories but many others have only one or two entires each. Those could be combined into a single category called Other Ethnic Fantasy. Of course, the main category, Fantasy, would be kept.

Under Romance, I have "Romance - Suspense," "Romantic suspense fiction," and "Romantic suspense novels." The latter three could be combined into one category.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote