View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Hypothetical question:
What I don't understand is why you would want to convert an InDesign document to epub? Why not go back to the original document to create your epub? It seems to me it would be easy enough and would yield a better product. The tools are free and fairly easy to use. To paraphrase Kipling: A printed page is a printed page, and an ebook page is an ebook page, and never the twain shall meet.
Why convert an InDesign document to ePub? Because when I convert a book (designed for print) to ePub, I'm at a point in the editing process where the InDesign file is kinda considered like the "original document". Because the latest version of the text is in the InDesign document destined for print. For example, when there is a reprint, the publisher I'm working for don't go back in Word to correct the latest found typos or whatever—he only keeps the InDesign documents up to date. So when doing the ePub, even if InDesign is far from perfect, I found it easier to use it anyway (I find it relatively quick to clean the resulting ePub files, once you get used to how InDesign exports certain things, etc.).

And indeed, ebook is ebook, print is print... I'm not trying to replicate the exact printed book in ePub. Still, I'm trying to find "equivalent" solutions for "equivalent" problems, so I find it useful to work with the printed book, even if just used as reference. But that's just my way of thinking the ebook/printed relation in my workflow. I never said it was the best.
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote