View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
You can't count on it. Maybe half the places I go I can get the location data. I don't know why it doesn’t work in some places. The locations function works all around the Austin/Round Rock/Georgetown area, but not around Waco (100 miles north, but still in cell phone/data coverage area.) It works some places out of the coverage map, but not in places shown as covered for data.

I have no idea why it doesn’t work some places. The accuracy seems to be +/- 50-75 feet or so. If it would work everywhere I have coverage (my cell phone is with the same carrier) it would be very nice.

Mike
What confuses me is that I didn't think it would work at all. I know you can use cell towers to estimate your position, but because the device doing the locating (the iPad) is not the device connected to the cell network (the MiFi), then I didn't think the iPad would have any way of getting that information. Is it possible that the places where it does work you are in range of some wifi signals? If that's the case, that might explain where it gets the location data and why it only works in some areas.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote