View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #39
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Hi kansaskyle and welcome to the Club!

My feeling about the ending was just that she was (as I think it said in the text in connection with her music) moving away from Maurice and being herself rather than his wife and then his widow. I think she just wanted to feel attractive for herself, rather than for someone else.
There is that interesting bit with Fiona's suitor; I thought the author did a great job with that.

"On those nights when Paul and Fiona eventually left together to go to a lounge bar or a dance, Nora found herself sitting alone almost content. She had enjoyed his company and it was clear, she saw, that he had enjoyed talking to her too."

Then she buys a new dress and decides to wear it at home: "Having put it on, she sat at the mirror and brushed her hair and looked through her make-up bag, finding a light mascara and a black eye-liner. When she heard a car, she went to the window to see who it was and, on seeing it was just two of the neighbours, she went downstairs and made herself a cup of tea and put on some music."

That's when Fiona decides that Paul won't be visiting the house anymore.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote