Thread: Kindle & RAR
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Good afternoon!!

I would like to use rar and unrar commands from the Kindle's shell.
As I'm a noob, I don't know what to do...
I know Kindles don't have rar and unrar in /bin, so what to do?

I tried to download RAR, then I added rar and unrar to /bin.
But I didn't manage to make it work (obviously!!).

Any help?

Thanks to everyone!
Well, rar and unrar are (no pun intended) rarely used on *nix systems, primarily due to the license of rar file format.
But...
Yes, there are *nix system programs that can handle that format.
Finding pre-compiled binaries for ARMv7 (if your talking about your KT) may take a bit of searching...
For instance, Debian does not build it for armel:
http://packages.debian.org/search?su...s&keywords=rar
Although you can follow links from that page to the source files and give compiling it yourself a try.

unrar is a bit easier, Debian builds it:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/unrar
(scroll down page)

let me guess, your next question will be: "How do I open a Debian *.deb package file?"
Answer: ar
not unrar, or rar, just: ar (your man ar command or google search will tell you).

Last edited by knc1; 06-09-2012 at 08:16 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote