View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #34
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLYates View Post
Something that I don't understand, if it is supposed to be illegal, then why is there software being sold to help remove DRM?

I was doing some checking as I am seriously considering it, I bought some books online, not knowning that they were DRM'd. I thought they were DRM free, as one said epub and the others were Adobe.

Anyhow, there is software being sold, I have seen two different types offered. So, what is going to happen there? Those businesses will be shut down? Charges brought against them?

I am just getting confused about DRM and ADOBE and ADE, if you have to download ADE to install a book, doesn't that mean it is DRM'd? And isn't Calibre unable to process DRM books? So, if I have to download ADE to be able to put books on my reader (Sony 900), doesn't that mean the books are DRM books and doesn't that mean I can't use Calibre? Therefore, I have to strip the books to be able to read them, right?

I have been bouncing from thread to thread, reading all the posts trying to understand this.
And I am getting more confused than straightened out.
Yes, if you are required to open the book with ADE, that's "DRM". As explained, Calibre is of very limited use in dealing with those, in terms of editing them (adding missing cover art, for example). You do not need Calibre to actually read them.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote