View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
One of my biggest concerns is the cost of ownership. ... So lets say that it'll be at a subsidized sale price of $100, with a $35 - $40 monthly contract charge. That means I'll be paying $420 to $480 a year, plus the $100.

Would I use a 7 inch MID/reader as a phone. No. Would I pay a minimum of $420 a year, year after year? No.
I think you'll find the Samsung Galaxy S Tab will be in the same range as lower-end laptops or higher-end smartphones -- around $450-600. It won't be bought as an e-reader; but it will perform that function in a credible fashion. People who buy it are the same crowd who value the iPad -- for mobile computing and entertainment. A 1GB data plan with unlimited wifi could be purchased for around $25/mth -- $300 a year. You can't equate that to the device -- is that worth it to you for your mobile activities? If it is, then the e-reader component is icing on the cake.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote