View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #56
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
Books are harder to dance to.

For me, music is a very different thing than a book. It's experienced differently, in a way that (for me) lends itself to repetition. It's a momentary emotional engagement, rather than the long-haul engagement of books.

I've said this in other re-reading threads, but I'll say it again - I do occasionally re-read, but it's almost always longer tomes with complicated or interweaving storylines (The Stand Uncut, for example) and there has to be a long time in between readings. Otherwise, I will have an uncomfortable deja vu-like feeling while reading. It's not pleasant when that happens. But since there are so many books I've yet to read, I simply find something new instead.

One thing that always baffles me about these threads is that some of those who re-read seem to think there's something odd about those who don't, and vice versa. Life is too short to constantly look for "why what I do is better", folks. I'm not "missing out" by rarely re-reading, and I'm not killing old friends, etc. Those who do re-read aren't "missing out" by revisiting the works they love instead of reading new things. What works for one does not work for all. We each do what we enjoy.

On topic - DRM is a concern because I horde books, and I get them from lots of places. I accumulate them way faster than I can read them, and I want to ensure that I actually CAN read them when I get to them, and read them in the manner I choose.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote