View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mornington View Post
Is there anything to prevent obtaining a file signature (CRC or otherwise) when the file is transferred to the device? i.e. send to device then obtain CRC/whatever from the file as it now is on the device.
There are several issues:

1. The same calibre book can be sent to the device multiple times. Each will have a different signature. Which one is stored?
2. Computing the signature takes time.
3. Many people have multiple devices. Which one wins?

I suppose that one could address concern #3 (and possibly #1) by computing a signature and storing it in the calibre metadata cache file on the device. One would then check new files against information in the cache, correcting the path information if a signature match is found. Reliability and performance would be a concern. However, doing this work is of no interest to me. I don't have a kindle, and my sonys and smartphones use EPUB, which already does it via the UUID.

Perhaps you could do the work, or perhaps someone else with a kindle might take it on.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote