View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Arstechnica: Whatever happened to the e-reader tsunami of 2010?

Whatever happened to the e-reader tsunami of 2010?

"... After all, doesn't E-Ink still make for a more comfortable reading experience than the iPad's LCD screen?

The answer, in at least my own case, is yes, E-Ink is easier on the eyes, but I've found that carrying only one device is easier on the shoulders.

Now that I've gotten used to reading on the iPad, I've ditched my Kindle entirely. I've now gone back to buying my books in dead-tree format for at-home reading, both because print is more relaxing and because it comes without DRM. I also have a few Kindle copies of some of my books on my iPad for when I travel. So in some cases I'm paying twice for the same book, but the print copy is mine—I honest-to-God own it—while the electronic copy is more of a fee that I pay to be able to read the book on my iPad when I go on a long trip.

Ultimately, the iPad and its upcoming tablet competitors are not going to completely displace E-Ink and other passive display alternatives, but Apple's success has almost certainly constrained those devices' growth prospects.
"

I am not sure I really get the author's reasoning for going to "dead tree" books, because he doesn't like reading on the iPad's LCD screen, but still he makes an interesting point about the future of e-ink.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote