Thread: on scanning
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #3
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Very good to hear these methods, thanks guys. I can't wait to get an automatic scanner for myself like you have.

Scotty1024: could you share with us and/or me your code for rotating and cropping pages. I would like to get an Acrobat 7 but I hardly think I could write the necessary code.

Now here is my process for scanning. If you don't want to tear, cut or any other way destroy the book, you can use this. I use a 3 megapixel camera (2048 *1536 resolution, with twice the resolution of iliad, so easy to scale down by 50% to iLiad's screen). I know that you can not make use of the full screen of the iLiad, but I hope we will be able once.
OK than I need a tripod, I put the camera on it and turn it with the lenses to the ground at the book. I also used a lamp just to make really sure that autofocus works, otherwise I apply the flashlight when shooting.
So it took me 2 hours approximately to scan a 378 pages long A4 sized book that I had to bring back to the office, so cutting was not an option. After that I use a small applescript that adjusts the contrast, colors, exposure, sharpness in order to get a black and white page. It does automatically for all pages. Then I could feed the pages to an OCR software and got as good results with recognition than by using any other high resolution scanner instead of a digital camera.

Maybe its funny, but works.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote