Thread: MobileRead Two Tier Voting
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The pros for tiered:

-We will always have a selection that the majority (50%+) wants to read. As it is now, we usually get a selection that about 15% of the group want to read, and the rest choose whether to go along with it or not (which has lead to some small discussion threads).

-Tiered voting may lead to more members reading the selected book and discussing it (which is what the club is all about), since more people will have voted for the winner.

-During the first round of voting, everyone can always vote their heart, since they will still have a chance to choose between the top two candidates in the final poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Personally, I think two-tier voting is somewhat cumbersome. In addition, it would give us less time to do what book clubs actually do: read books. I think the concept in unnecessary.
I do understand your cumbersome remark.

However, it doesn't have to give us less time to read. We could have two shorter polls rather than the one long one we have now. Now, we get most votes in the first few days of voting anyway, and only a few at the end. With two shorter polls we could end around the same time as before, giving us the same amount of time to read as now.

Or, if we want to keep longer polls, we could start the polls earlier to still have the final one end around the same time as now, also still giving us the same amount of time to read as now.

So, I don't believe having less time to read is an issue.

Even with all that said though, I'm happy with either way the poll goes. I am glad though that the issue will be finally resolved.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-30-2011 at 12:54 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote