View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Stream video with Mac or iPad on Airport wireless LAN?

Maybe one of you techno-wizards can help. I've been gradually converting various media including pBooks (recently) and analog audio (2 years ago) to digital. Now I want to venture into converting DVDs and video streaming but I'm not sure what I need to do that. My home network setup is Apple based. Presently I have a MacBook Intel OSX 10.6.6, Time Capsule (Airport Extreme wireless router with built-in 1TB hard drive and USB port off which I can hang a harddrive), an Airport Express connected to my old analog stereo system which streams audio nicely, a new wireless iPad, and a iPhone3 wireless/3G.

1. I want to put DVDs of movies on either the Time Capsule drive (space is limited for video) or some other higher capacity Network Attached Storage (NAS) device and stream them to a Samsung HDTV. I previously converted a bunch of VHSs to DVD, and have some store-bought DVDs too. What would I need for new equipment or software to get them from separate DVDs to video files I can steam from a harddrive or NAS device on my network?

2. I also want to stream video from U-Tube, Netflix, and other online video sources through iTunes or some other app from either the MacBook or the iPad. Do I need any particular apps so that I'm not locked into Apple and iTunes for this? Do I need the AppleTV receiver or can I go with some other brand such as Buffalotech LinkTheater, which is DLNA compliant/compatible, while apparently Apple products (and AppleTV) are not DLNA compliant?

3. I'm testing a Buffalotech NAS quad. I'll probably return it to Amazon in the next week or so. It turns out that to update its firmware, user must do it from a Windows PC. I don't have a Windows PC and don't want one. In addition, it can only stream video and audio to DLNA compliant receivers. Apparently it can't stream audio to Airport express attached to my stereo, or stream video to non-DLNA-compliant receivers such as AppleTV. Buffalo was not very helpful, telling me I need to go DLNA-compliant rather than Apple. Know of any workarounds to this problem so I can keep the Buffalo NAS rather than return it?

4. Are there other NAS's, receivers, and software apps that will work with my hardware set-up plus iTunes and any other necessary streaming app, so I won't have the problems in #3? That I can use to stream audio and video starting from my Mac or iPad, tell it to play that media, and automatically stream it from my network storage to my stereo or TV?

Technowizards, as a confused video-streaming and NAS noob, I'm grateful in advance for any help.

Last edited by unboggling; 01-26-2011 at 10:40 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote