View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
It is true that we have a bunch of free and $1 books available, but they are not in the dictionary / thesaurus class so that didn't impact my view. The only caveat here is the the source is nearly 100 years old and thus is missing the more modern words, and this was an initial response. In any case, $7 for a good thesaurus is not too expensive, it comes down to the overall utility, and note that it didn't stop me from buying in the end. If it were me, I wouldn't jump up and lower the price yet, I would monitor sales and let that be the guide. For what it is worth, I think that if the price had been something like $4.95 when I first clicked on the link it wouldn't have struck me as steep at all. Again, I wouldn't change anything based on only one data point.

One other thing, which may or may not be relevant - a few years ago I created a shareware program for Palm devices where the money went to charity. Initially I sold it for $5 and sales were less than stellar. However, the people who were buying were using the program in their job (not my original expectation) and they enthusiastically sent me ideas to tweak it and make it better. I did so and figured, heck, it must be worth more now so I doubled the price to $10. Lo and behold, sales shot up like a bat out of Hades. In the end the charity received over $23,000 as a result of this and a couple of other small shareware programs I did. I realized the original price just looked too low to people for them to believe the product to be any good, but once it was in a range where a decent program might be found (it was still a bargain, by the way) people were willing to try and buy. There is a real impact from the expection of 'you get what you pay for' that influences buying behavior, so you should keep this in mind as well.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote