View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hi,

only accept from localhost wouldn't work, since the connection just isn't made from localhost.

Enabling passwords is easy. I'm planning a last update of this app and giving passwords via command line (i.e. via launchpad config) would be easy.

However, VNC passwords are *not* sufficiently secure. It's always better to tunnel through SSH or use stunnel or some VPN client.

But I do not understand the distinction you're making. In what sense shouldn't the usbNetwork be a "public network"? It's just a point-to-point link. I'd say that setting ACL on the VNC server for allowing only the Kindle's IP ought to be easy... But I might be missing something here.

For keeping the Kindle from going to sleep mode, I'd suggest to use fbdev's kaffeine: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151207 - I'll probably prepare to use that in the next version of kindlevncviewer. For now, I'd suggest to add a call to kaffeine to the kvncviewer.sh script.

I'll check if the Kindlet approach from tsinghoo is a faster solution (I doubt that to some extent, but it might implement a different refresh model). At least it will always be a bit more comfortable to use, also UI elements are much easier to create. Depending on the outcome of the comparision, I'll decide if I add mouse/keyboard support to this app. However, personally I wouldn't want to use a closed source remote desktop app for things with harsh security demands, so I would love to see tsinghoo's source code. Although even if the source of the native app here is open and I still don't feel that an awful lot of people are using it, though...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote