View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The biggest problem with these do it all devices that also act as your cell phone is that because they now do so much, you use them for a lot more then just your phone. So you eat the battery a lot faster then you normally would. And when you need to go make or receive a phone call, good luck. That is a real issue unless you carry around a device like the iGo to recharge your phone using AA batteries or extra charged batteries you won't get much talk time if any. That is why I prefer to have seperate devices. My cell phone is just a cell phone. And very good at that. I have a Rio Karma for music and my 505 for reading and a real GPS for GPS usage. All I know is I am good to go. Yes, I have more devices, but I also have my phone for a lot longer then I would had I bought a multi-function device.

Now onto the topic of backlighting... backlighting eats the battery more and give less reading time. I prefer to have an external light source so my reader keeps a longer charge. I mostly read where I have light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john peer View Post
Can I just say that I think you're all a little bit crazy for buying devices with no back lights? ;-) I mean, half the fun/purpose of an eReader is being able to read when there is little (or no) ambient lighting. On planes/in cars/shared hotel rooms/shared beds....and in my case, in my home-on-wheels. (I'm working as a trucker).
On a plane, I have an overhead light that works for reading. I also have a small ear light I use for reading in bed so I don't keep the bedside lamp on and bother my wife. I can take the ear light with me and read wherever I am if the light around is not good enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote