View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #88
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Or they think it is a legitimately interesting and useful gadget. Unless a similar or superior tablet comes out later this year, I'll probably get one myself.
I personally don't see how it is that useful. It's main purpose is as a multimedia device and it's limited in that due to Steve Job's not liking Flash.

Despite what Steve Jobs says about the iPad supporting standards and not needing Flash he is talking out of his behind. HTML5 and CSS3 are not standards as they are both still in draft and subject to change. Even a codec for the video tag has not yet been decided on. Originally OGG Theora was specified but Apple complained and so now there is no standard codec for it with Firefox using OGG Theora and Chrome using H264 (which MS has also decided to go with). And even if HTML5 was now standard how many video sites actually support the video tag as well as using Flash? Unless I am mistaken it is only YouTube and even then you have to opt in to it.

As to ebooks Apple will do exactly what they have done with the iPhone/iPod which is force you to use their proprietary software to put the books on your device which is hardly embracing open source as Steve Jobs ranted on about in his anti Flash speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
What's even more ridiculous though is how you use the statement "let's be brutally honest" to rehash a common complaint about Apple, the iPad and Apple consumers.
So if it's a common complaint doesn't it mean that lots of people are of the same opinion and if a lot of people are of the same opinion doesn't it mean the chances of it being the truth are pretty high? And before someone else brings it in to the equation yes I am well aware of human stupidity and yes at one point everyone believed the world was flat but that didn't mean it was the truth.

On a different note the sooner the Dutch company working on colour eInk that has a refresh rate of 24fps gets it perfected the sooner we can start to move away from energy wasting backlit LCD.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote