View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnamy View Post
He just wants auto-hyphenisation. He's compared the version I sent on Kindle Previewer to other books by top authors which he has on his Kindle. He says the lines are gappier. solved some of these problems with his em rules.

I've discovered this Enhanced Typesetting now but Previewer says my output file doesn't have it. Is this just a way of Amazon getting rid of custom CSS and formatting to get rid of all these problems?
"em rules?" You probably managed to disable Enhanced Typesetting with that bit of tweaking. Moreover, they probably won't do squat, once the book runs through the KDP.

It is most certainly not Amazon getting rid of custom CSS and formatting; we do hundreds of books every month with highly customized CSS and formatting, and the only thing we still run into is the use of tables disabling ET. That's the only time that ET is not enabled for our books.

Sorry to be blunt, but are you being paid for this work?

Unless it's the tables (would have to be longer than 60 rows, I believe it is now, and I don't remember how many columns--jhowell will remember) that are disabling your ET--in which case, that's what you tell him--you are faced with the unhappy prospect of telling him that you don't know WHY your ET is not being enabled. That's what is stopping the hyphenation that he wants to see.

You should also have advised him that rivers are typical--it's how justification is DONE on older Kindles and any Kindle that can't use ET. It never ceases to boggle me how many people don't realize that justification doesn't just magically "work," people who don't know what rivers are, etc. But that's what you tell him. That, or you find someone with more experience, and pay them to fix your book. I'm sorry, but nobody here is going to be able to diagnose the reasons for your ET disabling remotely.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote