View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Soft hyphens do with with KF8. I've never tried with Mobi. KFX doesn't need soft hyphens. The problem is going to be if the eBook is going to be sold on Amazon, you don't want soft hyphens.

However, if this is a Kindle eBook, you can use the KFX plugin to convert to KFX and then show the client the eBook in KFX with hyphens. But, the client has to have a PW2 or later for KFX support.

So before we keep this thread going, you'll have to tell us what format and what software and/or device.
Jon:

And how, pray tell, would someone do that? Make a KF8 "only" WITH hyphens, the MOBI without, and etc.? I mean, I suppose some deranged person could do that, but it's a huge waste of time, IF the book is going to be sold.

As the OP mentions a "client," presumably, nobody is paying him or her to make a book for their own perusal.

I'm sticking with what I said--it's a client education issue, as are 90% of the crap that we deal with and questions we answer, daily. I've blown nearly two bloody hours today trying to explain to a client about HTML lists, and how they aren't Word lists, and if you want PERFECT line-wrapping, well, you're stuck with 1.1.1., not 1.A.2), etc.

If we could charge for "explaining time," we could ALL bloody afford to retire. Hell, of all the bookmakers I interview, they all want to MAKE books, but deal with this stuff? Oh, no. Have to explain to a client? Ixnay.

Sometimes--nay, oftentimes--you are helping the client more by telling them NO, and explaining why not, rather than catering to them merely to get it over with.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote