View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
E-Cafe
E-Cafe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
Any 350 user knows how to display traditional Chinese characters?

Hi,

I have recently purchased the Sony PRS-350 and I have finished reading several books on it with pleasant. Now I am having trouble to read books in traditional Chinese but I am not sure if it has something to do with my e-reader, Calibre or PRS+. I am wondering if someone can help me to resolve the problem as one of my reasons to get this e-reader is for reading Chinese novel/poetry on the go.

First of all, this is the background of my e-reader:
Sony PRS-350 with the latest firmware 1.0.00.14080
Calibre 0.8.34
PRS+ 2.0.17rc3

I am trying to convert some Traditional Chinese document from Word in Calibre using utf-8 encoding.

I tried saving the WORD document as ".RTF" files. It looks fine in Calibre but it showed up as squares on my PRS-350.

Since I am able to read Traditional Chinese PDF which I had previously downloaded from the "E-Books" forum, I tried to convert my Word Document to PDF through Calibre. I am then able to read the first 10 pages of the file on the PRS-350 and the rest of the book are empty pages. (Then I did a search here and found this old thread "https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133920" but I do not know how to add 仿宋 (fongsong) in OpenOffice).

Then I have also tried converting to EPUB, MOBI, ....... they all display well in Calibre but not the 350. I also tried installing and removing PRS+ but the problem persists. (then I found this thread "https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64510&page=99#1480" about adding fonts for the 900. I tried to understand from this old thread about "mounting Chinese fonts" on 350 but I am completely confused as the discussion was for different model(s) of Sony e-reader(s). Also, some "script" files are no longer available for download).

Does someone have experience with or know how to reading Traditional Chinese on PRS-350? The fact that the converted files read fine in Calibre but not the 350 really troubles me! Is there something I did wrong with the Calibre conversion? I am okay to save the file in PDF so the Traditional Chinese fonts are embedded in the file. Or is it something I need to with PRS+ to make the Chinese display properly? I would greatly appreciate if someone can shed me some light on this issue! I really like this e-reader and right now this is the only (BIG) complaint.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by E-Cafe; 01-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.
E-Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote