View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #50
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I think I just found an alternative way of jailbreaking the device. I actually stumbled upon this while looking for a way to de-brick a KT which is not showing any UI, but is at least capable of booting up to the point of announcing itself as a USB device.

So here's how it goes: [...]

As said, this may not only be useful for jailbreaking, but also for de-bricking devices which don't properly get the UI running anymore. As long as USB drive access works, this method should also work. For a bricked device, the reboot is achieved by long-pressing (30 secs?) the power button.

Let me know if this is reproducible.
It works for me and I've got a SSH connection via WiFi to my "bricked" Kindle Touch. Thank you very much!

That's what I've had:
  • KT hangs at screen with tree before appearance of progress bar.
  • before "bricking" I've successfully installed Yifan Lu's simple_usbnet_1.1
  • after "bricking" KT could be seen as USB disk and also as client at my WiFi AP

What I've did
  • copied data.tar.gz to Kindle USB disk
  • created file RUNME.sh at the root of Kindle USB disk
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
  • safely removed Kindle USB disk, then physically removed USB cord from my computer
  • held KT power button for 20 seconds, then released it
  • waited until KT rebooted
  • DIDN'T connected KT to computer via USB (looks like when I've connected "bricked" KT to USB, it is detached from WiFi AP)

And voila: I can connect to KT via WiFi IP. What a relief!
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote