View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #15383
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein.
Also known as "The Day After Tomorrow" (thanks, alansplace), and I think I have read it under that title, but a vey long time ago.

It's Heinlein's first novel, on an outline by John W Campbell. An interesting early work, but definitely with its roots in the pulp super-science era. I enjoyed it, but perhaps more for the Heinlein insights rather than the story itself.

Next, another random selection from the TBR pile: Spaceman Blues by Brian Francis Slattery. This is a freebie from Tor. I abandon it after 10%. It is being written in a pretentious present tense style that is getting right up my nose, and the story is not interesting enough to put up with that. If I had read the Amazon description "literary retro-pulp science-fiction-mystery-superhero novel" I probably would not be starting it.

Next up: A freebie (no longer free) from BookViewCafe: Starfarers by Vondra N. McIntyre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote