View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much what I do. Except I don't use the bold version of the font. I use a font editor to make the normal font bolder, but not quite bold face.

To make the bold text stand out more, I just use a different font face altogether. The result looks like this

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/at...2&d=1314801523
What did you use to edit the font? And your solution of using a different font face is actually quite clever. I like it.

Come to think of it, in most situations, using bold-italic font in place of bold would also work pretty well, as in most cases--your example being a rare instant to the contrary--bold italicized text very rarely shows up, with the exception of some headings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But what then happens if there's bold text within the book that it's important to be able to distinguish? This sounds like a rather bad idea to me, I'm afraid.
Bold text doesn't show up in the majority of books, with the possible exception of chapter titles and the like, and these are usually several sizes larger than the main text font. Also, the solution suggested above also works quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
This is more or less what Amazon did when they "cheated" their default font for better readability. It is a bolder version of the "regular" Cecilia.
Quite some time ago - I think in the beginning of 2011 but I'm not sure - we had some pictures here. Someone compared a Kindle with another reader with Pearl screen, a Sony, when I remember rightly. With the default font on both devices the Kindle looked much better readable but when he used the very same font on both devices there was no difference to be seen.
Oh yeah, I'm well aware. Same deal with the Nook Touch's 1.1 firmware. They're painstakingly editing their fonts so that anti-aliasing doesn't blur the text.

Last edited by nesler; 06-24-2012 at 05:08 AM.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote