View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I'm seriously considering moving from the iPod Touch as my main reader to a nook. I buy all my books from Fictionwise and have for over 10 years so I have a huge collection of eReader format books to sideload. However, reading some of the threads it seems like the Nook is a hassle to use with sideloaded books. Hard to find titles, etc. I really wanted to put all my books on it, but that is nearly a thousand titles and I don't want it to be a hassle to find something to read or to find a bookmark.

Trying to decide if the Nook is right for me or if I should go through the process of trying to strip the DRM and convert them to ePub and get a Sony Reader.
It's no hassle to operate the sideloaded books. Neither with the standard library, nor with the enhanced/softrooted nookLibrary.
But personally, I'm a bit obsessed by details.
If you use the standard library, you have slightly different menus (no sort by most recent) and can't show covers.
If you use the softrooted/enhanced nookLibrary, you can sort and have thumbnails. But the thumbnalis look differently. If you let nook extract them from the books, they are less appealing than the B&N ones. You can manually add thumbnails for every single book. This enhances the quality, but would you really want to do that for xxx books?
Personally, I mainly (>>80%) use nook for the original B&N books. Then it's a nice experience. And for $ 259, nook really is a catch.
But for the sideloaded books, in my opinion there are more convenient/appealing solutions in the market.
On Kindle for example (although I rank Kindle 2 slightly behind nook, but I've got a different approach with various readers for various needs) I don't see a difference at all, be it sideloaded PDFs, sideloaded Mobipockets or "original" Kindle files.
And: I LOVE the Kindle reader app on iPod touch/iPhone. Wouldn't Kindle 2 be a perfect match?
But still: nook is a great reader, has been a positive surprise.
Of my readers, over all I can recommend: Sony 900, iRex 800, Kindle 2, nook and Cybook Opus. (No specific order, always depends on ones preferences).

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-22-2010 at 06:04 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote