View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #98
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
hey people, I'm back with my second Yota YD201 and it is much better now with regards to battery than it used to be. I'm running Android 5.0.0 build 124 EU and if you haven't upgraded you should to the latest Lollipop! XDA is probably the best place to go for instructions. Yota have obviously been working on reducing all the apps sucking life out of the phone, it is vastly better than the first editions of Lollipop. One extra with Lollipop is there is a new 'ultra battery' mode which only uses the EPD and makes the phone ultra simple: only SMS and calls! If you bought the phone for days of battery life this is probably the mode you need!

The basic problem with this phone is that it has a normal screen and quite a small battery (physically) I think 2500mah from memory. You also get the processor cooking the battery which will shorten it's life. I had forgotten though what a great looking phone this is. And it is stuffed with features. I mean who wants or needs a step counter built in but it has one! You can use Android pay with NFC if you want, and it seems to work flawlessly. In the older builds the built in dictionary app was so busy communicating with god knows who ... that the battery would fall off a cliff virtually (why a dictionary needs all your contacts is a bit of a mystery to me...). The same vulnerabilities are still there but at least it isn't so blatant as before :-)

Now, the weaknesses are the crappy sound quality/low volume through the headphones. I strongly suggest picking up a set of bluetooth headphones. Motorola s-9hd work a treat for me, but that kind of thing is intensely personal. If you do that, then sound is fine as you'd expect. The GPS on my phone is dire as well, you can pair an external BT GPS as well, or if I use a signal booster it works just fine (the booster is not so portable though, good for automobile use). Sygic have a dashcam feature on their satnav and this does actually work with this phone so it will film your trip while giving you directions - and Sygic works with BT GPS which Google maps doesn't!

Generally though, much improved with the latest software. It is maybe a bit more buggy than most, but I'm running the Nova desktop on it, and it is all good. When people see the phone they generally say how beautiful it is... and that's something when so many phones look identical. As an e-reader? Maybe not, I'm still working on that!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote