View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I think the author is exaggerating, but the loss of shelf space is a genuine concern for publishers, large and small.

Consider the trajectory of the music industry:

• The industry was padded for years off of reselling CD's to consumers who had vinyl or tape versions.
• Digital music is introduced (via piracy).
• Digital sales are introduced, and gradually increase.
• CD sales gradually decline, though they are still around 40% of sales.
• Chain stores close.
• Indie stores do not fill the gap, though some are still doing fine.
• Music labels are consolidating and/or going bankrupt.
• Artist revenues for recorded music have nearly evaporated. Some big artists and labels have made up for the losses with tours and merchandise; smaller artists, as far as I know, have not had that luxury.

Books may not follow the exact same trajectory, and several factors (pro and con) are different.
- It was commercial options, not piracy, that brought ebooks into the mainstream.
- Unlike CDs, end-users can't easily convert paper books to digital form. So, there may be a wave of re-purchasing ebooks that did not occur with the transition from CD to digital.
- Unlike musicians, authors don't have alternate revenue streams. I.e. if book/ebook sales decline, authors will directly suffer.
- Most music stores didn't have the kind of browsing experience that bookstores offer.
– When music retailers closed, there were two big online music retailers -- Apple (digital) and Amazon (CD's). If B&N closes up, Amazon will utterly dominate both the digital and physical book market.

My best guess, for what it's worth, is...
∴ Book sales will decline somewhat, though not as much as music did.
∴ There will be some consolidation, and the loss of many mid-sized and small publishers, and lots of authors will lose publisher support.
∴ There will be a glut of self-published works (some good, mostly garbage).
∴ Amazon will gain unprecedented control over an entire medium, in both digital and paper formats, for at least a decade.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote