View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #23
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I can give you a copy of the SQLite DB to investigate yourself if you like. I haven't seen anything at this point that creates a technical hurdle
I am not worried about hacking the database, beyond some experimentation to determine what the fields actually mean. I am more concerned about things like:
- time zone management. Current sony devices do very strange things with timestamps and timezones, usually resulting in throwing away the info in the database.
- Resetting their reader app. There might be issues with getting the device to actually re-read the database. For example, you must actually reboot a kindle to get it to read changes to the collection database. I truly hope that Sony hasn't done something equally silly.
- Interactions with the device's book management. I have had difficulties in the past trying to convince the Sony not to reread metadata from books when the DB changes. This is similar to the timezone problem.
- Collection management of removable memory. You allude to this problem.
- Android partition protection may get in the way, but I am less concerned about this because the Sony app must be able to talk to the database.
- Interactions with Sony software. My biggest concern here is any over-the-air purchase features they might have added.
Quote:
I'm doing a little work getting accustomed to the Calibre plugin model and the existing PRS and Kobo plugins (since the Kobo plugin uses SQLite). But it is a little slow simply from lack of knowledge of the code, and having to fit it in with what little free time I have.
Have fun.

There are a lot of pieces to understand in addition to the DB, such as job sequencing, plugboard interactions (there are special 'features' for sony devices), collection sorting, collection name rewriting, and thumbnail regeneration. No surprise at all that it is taking you some time.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote