View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iLiad already has a screen that's on a par, clarity-wise, with VizPlex. When Alex saw the iLiad at Frankfurt, he said that he was surprised how much better the iLiad's screen was than that of the original Sony Reader.

I've not yet had the opportunity to see a VizPlex screen, but comparing the original Sony Reader side-by-side with the iLiad (I have both, as you know), it's quite startling how much better the iLiad's screen is. The background is lighter and the text is "blacker". It's just a lot more "contrasty" than the PRS-500's screen.
I just bought a PRS-505 and from experience I know that the screen of the iLiad is not on par with VizPlex. ILiad's screen is considerably worse than the PRS-505. I will take a photo when I have time of the two devices side by side.

PRS-505 is just brighter and more contrasty than the iLiad to make it comfortable to read versus the iLiad that is very uncomfortable to read other than outdoors. I would estimate the difference to be 40% between the two.

This suggests that either my iLiad's screen darkened 20% since last year and was originally 20% worse than Vizplex (roughly), or the iLiad has darkened 40% in just a year, which than indicates poor quality.

Anyway, I think Vizplex is better than the iLiad as I don't experience any ghosting, whereas on iLiad I experienced ghosting from the very beginning.

They are in par that on both devices I have 1-1 dead pixels, but on the Sony I have an reversed c shaped spot as well.

The sony's screen management is better, in that respect that I can switch it off and on quickly while I am not using it and hence save the screen, whereas on the iliad I have to wait 1 minute before switching on again. And YES there is burn-in effect on the iLiad as the dead pixel appeared and the screen became darker after a longer time I left the iLiad on accidentally.

(and sometimes I have to do it on purpose, because I am using it for learning and sometimes takes hours for me just to memorize 1 page)

I am glad that I have both devices because at least I have some basis for comparison and I can tell that the PRS-505 has a screen that basically you can't complain about in terms of readability, but still does not reach the readability of a newspaper IMHO (not to mention a magazine). I have the privilage now to see whether the screen gets darker over time compared to the iLiad.

Still both are good devices and what is good in the Sony is bad in the iLiad and vice versa. I wish my iLiad had power management and brighter screen, so I can only hope that actually PVI makes the screen for the iLiad and soon we will see Vizplex in the iLiad as well so that I can replace the screen.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote