View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #88
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Ummm.... no, actually. Circumventing DRM is not a crime in and of itself, when done for personal use (in the US, under the DMCA, that is -- I'm not sure about newer laws).

What is a crime is any of the following:
  • Creating tools to remove DRM (although there is an exemption for academic research)
  • Providing DRM-removal tools to others
  • Telling someone else where to get (or how to use) a DRM-removing tool (by implication from the previous item).
The tools themselves are legal, although creating them is not. Using the tools is legal, although supplying them or spreading information about them is not. The DMCA is a really really odd piece of legislation.

My source for this understanding is a graduate seminar on IP issues in computing that I took a few years ago at Carnegie Mellon. It was taught by Dr. Dave Farber, with guest lectures by a who's who of legal and technical experts.

Xenophon
Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. Consult a real lawyer if you need legal advice; don't trust this message. Your mileage may vary. Buy low, sell high...
Ah my misunderstanding. Still, in theory breaking the law ends up coming into the chain at some point. And of course, I am sure that at some point, they would like to do more if they could.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote