View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #80
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
So you should give 3 cheers to the p2p's and the people who refused to pay for music and downloaded it for free since they were the ones that finally determined the music industry to offer drm-free single mp3's and explore so many alternatives. That is people power
In my case, no, I don't give any cheers. I understand your argument, but I think it is wrong. I believe the p2p people played into the hands of the music executives who could go and say "look at all the music that has been stolen" and demand rights and implement excessive DRM, and put back the case for DRM-free or "DRM-reasonable" content. I don't believe it was the actions of the p2p networks that created DRM-free music, but it was the action of new businesses who saw a chance to use Steve's "wallet power" (the desire for fair-use) as a way to gain new business share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
A more secure web could get that data, and businesses could make more informed decisions. Without security, businesses are basically putting their wares out at night, turning the lights off and hoping there's money left on the counter when the products are gone in the morning. In that light, it's no wonder that businesses over-react by placing restrictive rules on purchases.
I do hope that's not a call for a Big Brother (in the Orwellian sense) world. I've read too many SciFi Novels (most recently Ken Macleod's Execution Channel) to be happy with that idea.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote