Thread: Indexeses
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #76
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post

Kovid, I recall you mentioned moving from a database to a file; can I ask what your reasoning was behind that, and how you feel it's worked out for you?

Originally, calibre stored both book metadata and the ebook files themselves in an sqlite database. This was so I wouldn't have to worry about the various file system quirks of 3 OSes. It has now moved to storing only the metadata in the database and the book files on the file system itself. This was done primarily to allow easy sharing of the calibre database between different computers over a network (the sqlite database can now be kept in memory for faster reads).

IMO, asking your users to run a separate database process is too much. Look into using some file based database engine like sqlite or metakit. Also if you use a database abstraction layer then users can choose any database backend to suit their needs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote