View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm not done yet, but my overarching impression is one of near seamless integration of the facts of the situation (the textbook history) with images and personalities. Hemming makes me "see" the parade of the conquisdadores, the panoply of the moribund Incan civilization, the land, the architecture, and the clash of men. If it weren't for those pesky life issues, I'd find this unputdownable.

Hemming gives me the impression of someone who has so immersed himself in the source material and visits to the land that it lives for him, and that he's just recording it as a bystander, albeit one with 20th century sensibilities about conquest and extermination.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote