View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
flubu
master of my own domain
flubu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
A plethora of un-choices (bit of a rant)

I want to buy an e-book reader. I have a bit of money stashed away in a sock for that specific purpose. The only problem is that I can't make up my mind as to which one I should get.

I want something that will handle text, html, pdf (as much as currently possible). Being a software engineer, I want something that has a SDK (hopefully java) that I can play around with. Most of the general specs are identical, or very similar, across the board.

Here's my thought process so far:
  • Iliad
    yay: droolworthy
    nay: too expensive for me, sadly. Not an option.
  • Handlin V2
    yay: good supported formats, possible SDK
    nay: not available in western europe($$ shipping and VAT)
  • STAReBook
    yay: interesting reviews. fast. sexy.
    nay: lack of formats, no SDK, not available in western europe($$ shipping and VAT)
  • Sony
    yay: good reviews. large user base. lots of software (SDK?). lots of books.
    nay: not available in western europe($$ shipping and VAT)

NAEB and Bookeen also have very interesting specs, but nobody seems to be able to get hold of the damned things.

That seems to be the main problem for all of the devices, except the Sony and the Iliad: NOBODY KNOWS WHERE TO GET THEM! The only place to get most of them is via a website that is poorly designed or has no actual content. This does not inspire confidence, nor is the fact that if you need to get the unit serviced, you need to mail it back to China, Turkey, Ukraine.

So far, I'm leaning towards getting a Sony, because a coworker is going to the US at the end of July and will be able to bring me back one.

Can anybody shed light as to what is going to happen in the short term for western europe availability for the Bookeen, STAReBOOK and Hanlin units?
flubu is offline   Reply With Quote