View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Looong before Honor Harrington there was John Grimes on the Galactic Rim

Old school "Ray Guns & Rocketships" SF at it's best fun.

So long before Honor Harrington was a glimmer in David Weber's, ummm, heck, almost before there was a David Weber period, there was the John Grimes series of stories by A. Bertram Chandler was a set of stories I, for whatever reason, was completely captivated by as a kid of 10-15yrs old. Until I found the Baen/Webscription's site I had all but given up on ever re-reading them as the original PB's had been long ago tossed into the charity bin by my mom, we won't get into all the pristine 1st edition SF HB's as well as PB's that suffered the same fate. But now I have been able to re-read the complete series again. And I just discovered a collection of the first stories into on book over at the Webscription site.

Chandler, A. Bertram - To the Galactic Rim

http://www.webscription.net/c-75-joh...-chandler.aspx

Better details about Chandler as well as the John Grimes character are, of course, to be found over at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Bert..._Grimes_novels

The stories are just a lot of fun. Technically they might be classed by those who insist on such things as MilSF. But they are not in the sense of modern works because while there is combat like action here and there, the thrust of the stories is always using brains and outright blind-outhouse-luck to push through so the good guys win but along the way the good guy has to either screw up or hit a road block of some sort human, non-human or accidentally exploding a sun has to get in the way to keep things interesting. Even better the stories feel more adult than the Heinlein " juvenile" novels and stories.

I recently completed the 4th of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. And while there have been fun, I could not stop from thinking I have read these stories before. And while the Harrington stories are not at all the same it's not a far stretch to just swap the name of the protagonist and it all works the same. So if ya like one odds are you will enjoy the other and the new collection of the Grimes stories is a really good ebook value if ya like the old fashion "Ray Guns & Rocketships" SF....

So just thought I would pass along a fun "new" set of stories a few folks might never have run across before.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote