View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #18
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The latter was also the intention of the KoboTouchExtended driver. If there is something it doesn't do, people should report it.
It isn't so much what it doesn't do, but what it does do. It's more Calibre's fault than anything though (the extra stuff added). Also, the span logic in kepubify is slightly different, and seems to match up better.

Quote:
And comparing speed between to two is also a problem. During the send-to-device, calibre is making sure there are making sure the metadata and the covers are up to date. Plus there is the metadata updating on the device.
I'm comparing just the conversion time between a plain epub and a kepub with the most minimal settings I can do. I've discussed this quite a few times before.

Quote:
The latter is a bit rude to say as the driver isn't bloated. Whether calibre itself is bloated depends on your viewpoint. It's big, but it does a lot.
Yes, I guess. My reasoning was that it does a lot more than needed for converting epub to kepub. One of my biggest pet peeves is the HTML and CSS mods calibre does, along with the additional calibre contributor[role=bkp] and calibre_user_meta_map (or something like that) stuff it adds to the OPF.

Quote:
Calibre is also scriptable.
Last time I checked, ebook-convert didn't work right from the command line with kepubs. Also, it doesn't play well when using it with many other small tools (it cannot use an arbitrary location as the kobo path, it cannot take css from the output of another tool).

Quote:
If you are converting books to kepubs and keeping them in the calibre library, you don't need the extended driver. The base KoboTouch driver handles sending kepubs. And the extended driver doesn't add much when doing this. But you should add the kepub metadata reader and writer plugins.
I'm aware of that; I've read the source code a few times before. I'm just simplifying it for the benefit of the average reader.

Quote:
I'm amused by the fact that this post is effectively telling people they don't need calibre, but, the seriesmeta tool relies on calibre specific metadata for the series info. But, it won't work ePub3 books. ePub3 has a definition for series info in the metadata and calibre uses that.
I've never once seen the epub3 series metadata in the wild (but I've seen calibre series metadata, as it's almost a standard). Also, although the seriesmeta tool relies on calibre metadata, it doesn't require calibre itself. Note that I don't have anything personal against calibre, but I dislike some of it's design decisions (but I understand that some are necessary in a program that large), and it isn't a good fit for my needs.

Quote:
@forster01: I think it comes down to how you are managing your ebooks. If you use calibre, then use it to do the send-to-device. Whether that is via the KoboTouchExtended driver or a conversion to kepub, it doesn't matter much. If you are using other tools to manage your books, then kepubify makes more sense.
That sums it up quite nicely. That is more or what less what I meant.

Also, as I said, you can also use a combination of both (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313137).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote