View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Dear Mr. Justus

Thank you for a valuable insight.

Please have a look at www.Baen.com
They have managed to sell DRM free books for very atractive prices for years.

Also please consider several reasons why we (the readers, the potential customers, the e-book enthusiasts) clamour for cheaper prices for e-books.

1. We feel that there are significant costs - like handling, warehousing, transporting physical objects (books), pulping unsold paper books that shops return to the publisher that are not present in an e-book bussiness model.

2. We feel that with an e-book we receive less value when we ... aehm ... "purchase"(**) an e-book. When I purchase a physical book I own it. Period. I can sell it to a second hand shop. I can lend it to a friend. My grandchildren will be able to read it. I have certain fair-use rights that are taken from me when get an e-book instead.

(**) understand: pay for a licence to read a DRM crippled file on a limited number of approved reading devices, for a limited time.

Last edited by kacir; 02-02-2009 at 07:25 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote