Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
cjallan
Enthusiast
cjallan doesn't littercjallan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Mobipocket Creator and IE 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2046 View Post
Like others I found that Mobipocket Creator wouldn't work properly when I upgraded to Windows 7 and IE9. This is due to the fact that Mobipocket Creator uses html pages as part of its internal processing and these are incompatible with IE9.

However Microsoft have provided a way for people with old html to continue using it in IE9. See the following

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...9.aspx#SetMode

The essence of this is that that if, for example, you have old html that works in IE8 and you want it to continue to work in IE9, then all you need to do is insert the following two lines immediately after the <head> statement in ALL the html files in the "C:/Program Files/mobipocket.com/mobipocket creator" folder (i.e. those in the rsc/html folder and the /rsc/html/editor/popups folder)
Code:
<!-- Mimic Internet Explorer 8 -->
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" >
If you want compatibility with a different version of Internet Explorer then modify the lines accordingly, based on the info in the Microsoft web page.

ONLY ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH HTML AND MAKING CHANGES TO THE PROGRAM FILES FOLDER!

TAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR EXISTING FOLDERS SO THAT YOU CAN USE THEM TO RESTORE THE ORIGINAL POSITION IF NECESSARY.

NOTE 1: these changes should be done using a text editor such as Notepad and NOT a word processor.

NOTE 2: You do NOT need to add these lines to any html for books you are creating. The change is purely to the html that mobipocket uses to run.

NOTE RE TABLE OF CONTENTS (added 26th April 2012)

The above changes fix the Guide option, but not the Table of Contents option. However I have further investigated the table of contents problem and believe I have now found a solution. To fix this, some additional changes are required. These are explained on the following thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176378

Mike2046
Mike,

Thanks for posting that information.

I believe it is the answer to the problem, but there are still a few details to be considered.

I agree with you that the error happens only when the Guide Items are inserted.

It is not the TOC that causes the problem.

Also... contrary to your comment...

The Guide Item does not place the TOC in the file, it just provides a link.

If you build a TOC with MS Word wizard, it works just fine and produces a working Kindle format book with working TOC.

(Don't try to use the TOC built by Mobipocket.)

The only thing that isn't working is the Guide Item that provides a link or a jump to the TOC.

I have done this many times using a TOC built with MS Word.

All is well until I try to add the Guide Items, then Mobipocket crashes with the error message that was quoted here earlier.

I saw your message as a probable solution, but I am unable to make the changes to my html files because they are protected in some way.

I know enough about html to make the simple change you suggested, but not enough to know how to remove this protection.

Do you have a suggestion?

CJ
cjallan is offline   Reply With Quote