View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Agreed, Sebastien; I meant my post light-heartedly and by no means as criticism of Geezer's perfectly fine question.

I do think reading ebooks on a dedicated reader is very much a suck-it-and-see thing, though. This site has thousands of members, each of whom has discovered his/her reason why. Some, like me, saw his own reasons why long, long before the first ebook was produced, let alone the first ebook-dedicated reading device.

My reader is an old dream come true; but I'm not going to burden Geezer with stories of a life often lived on the hoof in foreign hotels bare of English books, my twenty-five years in an area of a country where English-language literature is near impossible to come by, my frequent months' long hospital stays where my main illness seemed to be book starvation. These reasons why would be unlikely to apply to Geezer's own circumstances. But I'm sure he would discover reasons of his own if he were to give a reader a fair crack o' the whip.

It's a pity that -- unlike, say, mobile phones in days of yore -- those who, like Geezer are interested enough to investigate the potential, can't hire a reader for a week or a month to see if it does answer some need/s they never realised they had. Geezer must work out the advantages in his own particular case ... or discover that he, personally, cannot benefit from a reader.

I loved Geezer's conversation with the old rose lady. Perfect sense, perfect understanding. I do wonder, though, how many things -- and how many hobbies -- we've come to find indispensable (computers, cars, TVs, jogging, credit cards for instance) once had us wondering -- what's the point? We must find out for ourselves if there is, indeed, a point.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote