View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #895
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by besnef View Post
I found this plugin a few weeks ago and was thrilled (it updates!). I haven't even scratched the surface of all the things I can do and configure with it.
Glad you like it. There's going to be even more crazy levels of configurability coming this week.

Quote:
It also gave me the chance to solve a problem. My mother wants to save stories (and eventually read them on a separate device) from the new 'blog style' fanfiction forum at InDeath.net and I was looking for a good way to let her create epub files from the stories.

So I wrote an adapter for that (it's a bit metadata light but there's not that much available).
Hmm. My quick perusal shows that InDeath.net is far more consistently structured in how stories are posted than any of the other blog-based fanfiction I've seen. That's been the biggest hurtle to supporting those types of sites. If it's really consistent, I'd be happy to consider including your adapter for it.

Quote:
I also wrote one for jlaunlimited.com (just because I happened to want a story from there and it was low-hanging fruit: a very standard efiction site).
A perfectly legitimate reason. Happy to consider that one, too.

Quote:
And, because I like to torture myself, I took a shot at one of the sites that was listed as 'no one wants to do this one because it's a pain in the neck' that was also a site I wanted some stories from: dwiggie.com.
I was impressed before--this is going above and beyond.

Quote:
The dwiggie.com plugin needs modification to handle the alternate url formats for older stories but is otherwise functional. It is, however, very ugly. That site has multiple chapters per page and so to parse them out requires traversing all the pages just to get the chapters, listing 'fake' urls for the separate parts and processing each page as many times as there are chapters on the page (and also searching two separate index pages for the metadata). So it is fairly unkind to the server and still not perfect with the chapter separation (it expects a full horizontal rule between chapters and processes some notes sections as chapters) but it does work.

If anyone can think of a better way to solve this problem let me know!
Hrm. Searching a couple pages for metadata is pretty common--usually story index or first chapter and author page.

But I can't say I'm thrilled with hitting the pages more than once, or having to essentially load the entire story to pull the metadata (including chapter URLs). For the plugin especially that really breaks the paradigm of getting metadata, checking for existing story, then fetching chapters.

Quote:
So, what now?
Assuming that this is your clone, I, and the other FFDL devs, can pull your adapters from there to review them. That's the first step.

Assuming they pass muster (after some tweaking and negotiation, especially dwiggie.com--we'll take that discussion to PM or email), the second step depends on what you want to do:

If you only care about these three and don't plan to write more, I'll integrate them into the repository under my user and that will be the end of it.

If you are interested in writing more code, and the other devs approve, we can add you to the project as a developer and give you permission to commit code directly.

I'll pass this post on to the other devs and try to review them myself tomorrow, or at least early this week, and back to you with some initial remarks.

And thanks, we love to see new code contributors.