View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
What about durability?
I'm really not keen on purchasing a glass-based 9.7" device - not with my 3-year-old on the rampage.

How "fragile" is it? Should I just wait for PocketBook's 9.7" plastic model to become available?
It feels less fragile than the iPad. Not as much mass, so it won't fall as hard. I would definitely going to get a case for it though. I will probably be getting the SquareTrade warranty: http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ereader-landing1 just so I don't have to worry about it. Or the Amazon warranty, but the SquareTrade seems like a better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
Excellent review, thank you! Especially regarding the iPad, I actually bought it, and had to sell it, just wasn't working for me with books...

Couple questions:

1. How is the lack of next/previous page on the left side? I'm a lefty, and I my Nook I find that if I use physical buttons, I use the ones on the left side.

2. Is there a mode where you can read a novel in landscape and have it format for two pages, like the iPad?

Thanks!
I'm a righty, so I don't mind! But honestly, I feel like I could just as easily hold it in my left hand if the buttons were on that side. You can also set the portrait mode to be upside down if it really bothers you, but then you have to hold it a little bit farther up.

There is no double page mode. Honestly, I prefer the single page view because I can make the text big enough to see in low-light situations, yet still have enough words on the page that it does not slow down my reading.

Hope that helped.
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote