View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #53
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Limits, sure-the question is which limits can be reasonably guessed. I'd say the limits that you can't read your book until it's returned can be reasonably guessed, and also that there is a time limit on the lending (especially since part of their advertising is that you 'always get it back'-only way that makes sense, knowing people as I think we all do, is if there's a time limit on it). But I, personally, don't think a limit on the number of times you can lend it would be reasonably guessed. Nor do I think B&N is helping themselves by the way they're answering questions about this.

Comparing their answers to those I've received in other situations, I'd say that they realize a straight, honest, answer ("You're limited to lending each book one time, for the life of the book.") would present them in a bad light-so they provide 'weasel' answers that can be read two ways, and refuse to clarify them. IMO, that makes them dishonest. Period.

Reminds me of what I tell my kids: If you'd be ashamed (or scared) to honestly tell your parents what you did, then you can be pretty sure it's wrong & you shouldn't be doing it.

Think about it, B&N.

I disagree with you. Lending one time per book seems sufficient to me. Anything else smacks of trying to illegally distribute copyrighted material to me. I am not going to say that is what you or any other specific person here wants to do that, but I am 100% certain that some of the flak here is because of this desire.

I agree with you about what you tell your kids. The difference is that I think that there are some adults here ashamed to say honestly why they want to have the ability to loan out more ebooks.

I would also like to point out things before anyone gets mad about what I just said. First, I have not accused anyone specifically of doing something wrong. I honestly feel that some of you may just disagree with me, even though I am certain that some are looking to abuse things. Second, you and others are making allegations against people with no proof what so ever.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote