View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Lovely...

Just another reason I prefer an app on my iThing to amazon's mess.

Any chance it is one of those rules they write down, then break themselves like negative margins?? Or maybe it was one of those things they put in the guide because their older devices couldn't handle tables, but the newer KF8 ones can??

Actually, you can't use a table for the iThing's TOC, either, boyo. It's just one of those things. And, no, they don't break it themselves; when they were converting with MBPC, back in "the day," they used a list, which we mere mortals weren't allowed to use, but not the tables for the TOC.

The reason is, really, it's bloody impossible to navigate around, if you have a K or K2. I mean, hell, try it. (Ask me how I know? Because I have a book out there, in the universe, that had a guy that couldn't live with the line-wrapping. Yes, boys and girls...that Kindle book uses a TABLE for its inline TOC. Shhhhhh!). Trying to use the little toggle switch? OMG. What a giant pain. But bygod, those line wraps all align perfectly, no matter what size the font. (I also have a screenplay out there that has characters speaking simultaneously. The screenwriter put two names and the screen-directions and the dialogue in bloody parallel COLUMNS, every line stair-stepping slightly closer to the left-margin. Yes, yes, I admit it! I used itty-bitty tables for that, too. Now ask me if I'd ever do it again. I dare ya.)

And the negative indent? That's bloody real now too. Try it on a K8, and your stuff will run right off the left-hand side of the page. Urgh. We're discussing whether to stop taking poetry altogether which, yes, I know, I know, makes us heathen pagans, but...5-6-10 iterations of poetry line breaks with a poet ("...but, but, that's not where the line should break! You've ruined my poems!") can make my head go all futsy. YOU guys think I'm cranky? Ha! You should see me when I see a book of poetry named "Version 8" going out the door.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote