View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTenacity View Post
Hi all!

I'm currently working on a ebook project with Sigil. Basically, I'm transcribing the contents of a wiki to make it into a epub for offline reading. The wiki has a large amount of content. Not only are there over 1000 pages in this praticualr iteration, there are also a lot of picture files.

My problem is that my file is now hopelessly bloated to the extent that it takes Sigil 10-15 minutes to open it. It's current size is 113mb. Even accounting for all the pictures files, that's still far to large. A friend has suggested this bloating could be down redundant CSS and code. However, I know little about such things!

My methodology has been very straightforward, literally to the extent that I just copy and paste the web page and rearrange it so that it all sits well.

Is there any advice you could give a Sigil-newbie on helping slim down this file? Any and all are appreciated!
Well, that's pretty damn bloated. First, you probably have images in either at a high-rez, or simply too large (are you using display techniques to downsize images)? However, more importantly, are you trying to put everything in one HTML (or XHTML) "file?" In other words, do you have the whole damn wiki in one single file, instead of breaking it up into, say, topics? Or a range of topics, in a "chapter?"

If you break the topics up, and put the wiki in "chapters" (files) inside the ePUB, it will certainly open faster and more efficiently. As it is now, it'll never work in any ereader I know of, if the single file is 113mb. Many older readers have a 256K limit, if memory serves, per file, which means, per chapter, or file inside the ePUB.

Have you broken it up into workable chapters?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote