View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Here we go. DISCLAIMER: you are on your own, so be careful.
Also, I tested this only on the original v1.6 firmware, but could (should?) run on the other versions.

Unzip the attached zip file somewhere in your M92 or SD card; you will find two directories, gserial and allow_root.

To login in your M92:
  1. plug the usb cable;
  2. answer "No" to the USB Connection popup;
  3. run start_usb_serial.oar from the gserial directory;
  4. your computer should detect a new serial port device. Use you favourite terminal emulator to connect to it.
  5. login with user app, no password will be asked. (Be careful, even if you are not root, permission aren't really going to protect you.)

To logout press Control+D or type exit. If you want to login again, re-run the start_usb_serial.oar command.

When you are done, logout then execute stop_usb_serial.oar without disconnecting the USB cable. The usual popup will appear.

So now you want to login as root, don't you?
Go to the allow_root directory and run root_pw_clear.oar; now you can login as root, no password asked. To restore everything as it was, run root_pw_restore.oar (will only work if you don't change the root password by hand, but if you can do that, I assume you can restore everything by yourself.) Also, does anybody knows what the original root password is?

Be careful and have fun!

EDIT: The archive was updated because I put the wrong module in there, as you can read below. Sorry guys!
Attached Files
File Type: zip gserial_M92_v16orig2.zip (21.0 KB, 1505 views)

Last edited by FDD; 02-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote