View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Those are good thoughts Greg. It would be a pretty optimal solution if we had a wide audience buying many ebooks and low priced non-DRMd editions available for almost every book written. Even if the most recent and popular ebooks always commanded a more premium price.

As far as readers preferring a laptop to a dedicated device, I think it's two-fold:
1) People don't want to be forced to buy and carry and learn a new device unless they are sold on the benefit and ease of use.
2) People say they prefer to read on a laptop because of what I'll call the "magazine e-edition problem". Specifically, remembering that I am a huge e-book fan, what would I say when I fill out the subscription form of a trade magazine for a free courtesy subscription? Even if I really prefer the electronic edition, my answer to the question is that I want paper. The reason is that I don't know what form the electronic edition will be in. It might require a proprietary reader to be installed on my laptop. It might just be more headaches than it's worth. So even if I'd love a pdf version of the magazine, my answer has to be "no thanks" to the uncertain e-edition offer.

Same thing with the laptop reading question. There are so many potential headaches and issues that I think people find comfort in sticking with what they know - use their laptop since they already have it with them. Sounds better than spending money and time on a device they don't expect to use much anymore. But make ebook devices familiar and give consumers confidence that there are no DRM/format/cost issues, and they might just find that reading the paper and news and books and magazines on a device is their preference (well, on a great device with a large screen anyway). But lets face it, e-book reading devices are expensive and limited right now, and they do come with DRM/format issues.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote