View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #54
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The bit-at-a-time donation is yet another item with many possible explanations. It may even be as simple as "this is the way it's always been done" - harking back to the beginnings when bit-at-a-time was the way it started (for whatever reason). Now, maybe, their equivalent of big-pharma wants to retain their investment in the infrastructure.

I'm not convinced any of the three held any real faith in the true-love=reprieve thing by they time they left the cottages. I'm not sure of Ruth's motives (was it truly repentance or just another form of manipulation?), but I see Tommy and Kathy going through with it because that's what you do near the end: if there's some option to be explored (to extend your life even just a few months) before you let yourself die then you explore it. It happens now, so I didn't see anything at all strange about it in the book.

Their passivity seems strange and disturbing, and it's one of the thoughts that clings after the book ends: how much of their passivity was a matter of upbringing, possibly of their genes, and how much is just human nature?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote