View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.0.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Support option to prioritise either Mobi formats (using APNX algorithm) or ePub files
  • Change ePub page count algorithm to be similar to the Mobi APNX algorithm

Thanks to all for the feedback above. Note that I have decided to change the ePub count away from the Adobe "1 page = 1024 chars" that the ebook viewer uses and instead apply an algorithm very similar to that created by user_none for generating APNX files for Mobi formats. So you should now get roughly similar numbers depending on whether you scan Mobi or ePub formats. You can choose which to prioritise in the configuration dialog.

I've added some extra logic in the ePub counting that the APNX mobi code does not have. So you might find for a minority of "weird" books internally that the ePub count offers a more consistent result. It is a luxury I have that user_none did not for his purposes of not sacrificing performance while still offering a useful solution to Kindle users. However for the most part either should give you comparative results, and thanks to user_none for his starting point and information.

In my own quick sampling I found that the algorithms generally tend to slightly underestimate the pages compared to paperback versions, but there were exceptions where the reverse was true. Also there is inconsistent results on printed page counts as well - hardback vs paper vs ebook vs large print editions for instance, fonts, line spacing etc.

So treat the numbers from this plugin just as a general indication of relative size and have some fun
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote