View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Question Metadata storage/upload

I've faced a weird behaviour that I'd like to verify.

Scenario: I don't want to keep a local library on my disk. All I want to do, is to prepare an ebook and transfer it to device (PRS505) with calibre, to make sure all metadata is there. In order to get that, I do the following:
* connect the device
* launch calibre
* add books to calibre
* edit the metadata
* send books to device
* disconnect the device
* delete books from calibre
So far so good, books are there, and titles/authors/collections are there. But then, I go for a second batch.
* connect the device, launch calibre...
Boom. "media database on device looks corrupted" says calibre, suggesting that disconnecting the reader should help. I do this, and now calibre stops complaining... but the tags are no longer there and my collections on the device are gone.

Does calibre makes any assumptions on what happens to the content of the device and my local library? Is the thing I've described at the beginning (using calibre only for uploading new books) even possible? Does the xml gets created on computer side and overwrites the one on device every time upload is performed? Or are the entries added to xml on the device one by one?

A bonus, unrelated question: when I launch OSX version of calibre, it asks for my login password. What for?
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote